UN Announces Second Death of Rwandan Peacekeeper in Haiti

25 Sep

September 24, 2012

Above: UN peacekeepers in Haiti (UN Photo/Logan Abassi)

By the Caribbean Journal staff

A second peacekeeper from Rwanda’s Formed Police Unit in Haiti has been killed, the UN peacekeeping mission announced Monday.

The death of Sergeant Aloys Nsengiyumva comes after the shooting of 34-year-old Rwandan peacekeeper Bisangwa Hassan earlier this month.

The “lifeless body” of Nesngiyumva was found by Rwandan police Sunday night behind the Uruguayan military’s camp.

According to an investigation, it was Nsengiyumva who shot Hassan, and then fled. He had been actively sought since, MINUSTAH said.

It was not yet clear how Nsengiyumva died.

Police Commissioner Tabasky Diouf “deplored” what he called a “double tragedy,” passing his condolences on to the families of the victims and their comrades in the Rwandan unit.

The UN has initiated a probe into both incidents, which is ongoing. Last week, the force said early findings suggested an accidental shooting of Hassan.

Source: http://www.caribjournal.com/2012/09/24/un-announces-second-death-of-rwandan-peacekeeper-in-haiti/

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: